|Beautifully creamy crème brulée|
I have modified a recipe from allrecipes.com, using all-natural ingredients. We have made this recipe a handful of times and it always delivers! Here is my version of this gourmet French dessert, best served with a side of fruit, such as mangoes or berries :)
6 egg yolks, preferably from pastured eggs
1/4 c unprocessed, organic sugar (I like Florida Crystals)
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 1/2 c organic cream
1/8 c unprocessed, organic sugar
1/8 c organic brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 300 F
- Heat cream in a small saucepan until very hot but not boiling.
- While cream is heating, whip egg yolks with sugar and vanilla extract until thick.
- Pour hot cream into egg yolk mixture slowly, while stirring, until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into ramekins (4) or into a larger, shallow baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes (more for large dish) or until custard center has a slight jiggle when shaken.
- Store in refrigerator for about an hour to cool to room temperature.
|Custard, ready to bake!|
|Cooked custard, cooling before adding topping|
|Carmelized sugar topping on finished crème brulée|
- Pre-heat the broiler
- Mix the two sugars and spread evenly over the top of each ramekin.
- Place the custard under the broiler until sugars melt and start to brown. Keep an eye on the sugars so they don't burn.-OR- using a torch, melt and toast the sugars, making sure not to burn them. I have tried both techniques and although the torch is more fun, the broiler toasts more evenly :)