Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Homemade Fermented Salsa

It's springtime in Florida! This past week, I went to a local U-Pick farm and got some great fruits and veggies, and I had a great idea to put some of them into a fermented treat for future use...





My kids helped pick two large buckets of strawberries, which I will be using in our homemade kombucha :) I also got a great deal on organic tomatoes. I got a basket (26) of "canning" tomatoes for $5! Then, I smelled the freshly-cut cilantro that was strategically placed by the cash register... and I got a great idea for those tomatoes. My oldest daughter helped me find the sweet Florida onions, and we were off to a running start.



We were told by the farmer that the sweet onions did not cause tears, but my daughter wasn't taking any chances!




I used a total of 24 tomatoes for our homemade salsa. They are easily peeled after sitting in a potful of boiling water for about 10 seconds!





Yummy... salsa! In my homemade salsa, I added:

24 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used a small food processor)
4 c diced onions
4-8 jalapeno peppers, diced (use gloves when handling peppers!)
4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 T sea salt
8 garlic cloves, diced

I stirred everything together and put into clean quart canning jars. I also stirred in 2 T whey for each jar. Instead of canning with a water bath and killing beneficial enzymes, I am fermenting my salsa to add beneficial bacteria while preserving it for months in the fridge.





I filled 6 quart jars with this delicious salsa. The salsa will start to ferment on my kitchen counter for 2 days, and then I will move them to the fridge for storage. The flavors will develop over a period of time, but it can be eaten right away! I have no doubt we will finish all of this salsa before 6 months is up :)

I love springtime and look forward to visiting our local U-Pick farm again in the near future! In addition to his early spring crops, he has zucchini, squash, watermelon, and okra planted this year... YUM! Check out your local U-Pick farms at http://www.pickyourown.org/ .

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    Where would I find whey? And is it necessary to add if keeping in the fridge? Thanks for the recipe. It was recommended by Carrie Vitt of the Deliciously Organic blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the whey from yogurt :) check out my post on yogurt cheese:
      http://homemadehousewife.blogspot.com/2012/05/homemade-yogurt-cheese-and-whey.html

      I recommend adding whey if you are not canning with a water bath. The whey prevents the salsa from growing mold and keeps it from spoiling for about 6 months!

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog doing a search for fermented salsa. This looks like a great recipe!

    I linked to this article from my own blog. Hope you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to share! Glad you enjoy the recipe :)

      Delete