Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Homemade Wormer for Pets



I am happy to say that my dogs are not on any medications.  Aside from being slightly overweight, our 7-year-old lab mix is a happy, healthy middle-aged pooch.  Our 4 month old Doberman is also very healthy, despite living in a region of the country known for lots of mosquitoes, ticks and other parasites.

Recently, I discovered (through a Yahoo group) that Guinness Beer can be used as a wormer for pets and I was excited to do some independent research on the subject... To my surprise, this remedy has been studied in Japan and is used in many animal rescue centers when the animal is too weak for conventional treatment, mainly for heart worms.  Yes, this treatment kills heart worms!

From my research, I learned:

1. The Black Label Guinness Draught (see photo), which is brewed in Dublin, Ireland, is the ONLY beer that works for worming pets.  This is because of the ancient strain of hops used in the brewing process.  The hops actually causes the worms to become sterile, so they are no longer able to reproduce.  (In conventional treatments for heart worms, the worms "know" they are being poisoned and release harmful toxins into your pet's bloodstream.)

2.  DOSAGE should be 1oz beer per 25lbs body weight.  For prevention, the first two doses should be two weeks apart, then monthly from then on.  To treat a severe case of worms, you may up the dosage to every 2 weeks for the first 3 months, then back off to a once-monthly dose.

3. The small dosage does NOT get your dog drunk.  After their first dose, my dogs showed no signs of dizziness or sleepiness. 

4. The beer will keep in the fridge between doses, even if it goes flat.  If you don't drink Guinness (like I do), just put the cap back on between doses and stick it in the back of your fridge... I have to admit, I just drank what was left in the bottle :)  YUM.

5. In addition to dogs, this treatment has been used successfully in cats, dogs and ferrets!  And, you could see die-off of parasites the same day of the first treatment.

**I read in one article that whip worms will not be affected by this treatment... ? I'm curious to know why, but haven't found an answer yet. **

So why pump your animals full of expensive drugs when the answer is right in your fridge?  Get your pets off the prescription meds and let them enjoy a happy, drug-free life! 


For additional research, see these sites:
http://briarwoodpups.blogspot.com/2011/10/beer-as-wormer.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_beer_kill_heartworms
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-guinness-heartworm-challange

13 comments:

  1. Is 10 oz per 25 lbs of body weight correct? That would get me drunk in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you read it wrong. It is 1 oz per 25 lbs body weight :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Would this work for a 4 week old puppy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am not a vet, I'd rather not give advice concerning puppies... I have never heard of giving a 4-week-old puppy any heartworm meds, but I may be wrong! I would recommend doing some more research :)

      Delete
  3. Hmm - I will have to research this as well. I suspect if it makes all adult parasites (not just heartworm) sterile then it would work well for heartworm -- part of the "prevention" in heartworm meds is simply that they interrupt the life cycle and don't allow the baby heartworms (microfilaria) progress to the larval stage. But for both whips and hooks -- I would think it wouldn't be effective fully for either because the parasites themselves actually damage the dog. Hooks are mostly big saw-toothed MOUTHS (like most of the parasite is just plain MOUTH) that actually tear tissue up as they feed. Whipworms are like little living razors - the entire side of their body IS a razor and the way they feed is to slice open tissue and then feed on the resulting blood.

    So if the method of control is to prevent the parasite from reproducing I can see where that would work in many cases -- but even one whipworm can damage a lot of tissue.

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What will happen if I don't keep the beer in the fridge? Will it spoil or mold? If I've had the unopened bottles unrefrigerated, will they be ok if I put them in the fridge now before they are opened? Should I pour out the bottle that's been opened and unrefrigerated for a week now? I'll be treating my dogs for the 2nd time on June 30th. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the bottles are sealed, you don't have to refrigerate them. But, since they are pasteurised, once they are opened I would put them in the fridge.

      If you have had an opened bottle unrefrigerated for a week, I would just pour it out.

      Delete
  5. it is common to de-worm pregnant dogs before bitrh would this be safe for her and the unborn pups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of this, but I would never give a pregnant dog chemicals that may harm the pups! Since I am not a vet, I will leave this one to your discretion.

      Delete
  6. If its the hops that make the worms sterile, then can I just use the hops? From what I found, it's East Kent Goldings hops, which are easy to find online or from a local homebrew supplier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I assume you could use the hops only... but I doubt your pet would eat them raw/dried. You would probably have to make a homemade tincture, and then you really don't know the dosage. I don't think a hops tincture (if you are afraid of the alcohol content, I would use glycerine) would harm your pet, but then again, I am not a vet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder if this would work on horses :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not entirely sure, but that would take quite a bit of beer! :)

      Delete