Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Homemade Shampoo and Conditioning Rinse

 
 
I am really excited about this post!  Homemade shampoo has been on my list of "things to do" for quite a while, but I hadn't found a recipe that really caught my eye until now.  (Check out the inspiration for this post at Instructables!)  The recipes are simple and can be tailored to any type of hair. 
 
My hair is fine and thin, so I paired my homemade shampoo with a vinegar rinse.  The rinse will help with any heavy feeling that is left after shampooing.  Without the rinse, my hair feels like I have a lot of product in it- even though I could use some body, I cannot use this shampoo without a rinse.  
 
I have a good friend who has naturally curly hair, and she uses her normal conditioner with this shampoo, with excellent results!  She told me her hair feels light and clean, just like after a trip to the salon :). 
 
Here's what you'll need for your own homemade shampoo:
 
1/2 c castille soap (I used Dr Bronners Citrus Hemp Castille Soap)
1/2 c water
2 t jojoba oil
2 t glycerine (I used a homemade green tea extract in glycerine)


Mix all ingredients in a large, glass measuring cup, then pour into dispensing bottles!  Make sure to shake well before using.  I squirt this directly into my wet hair, as it is very watery (but it makes amazing lather!).

For a vinegar rinse, just use 1 quart water (or tea- I used a strong linden leaf tea) and 3/4 c vinegar (you can use whatever kind you have on hand- I used apple cider vinegar).  Mix.

Use 1/2-3/4 c per rinse- just work through your hair to your scalp and leave it on while you wash your body.  Then, rinse and let your hair air dry!  When it's dry, no vinegar scent :)  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying my blog! I post sporadically, so keep checking back for future posts :) Right now, I am getting ready for a new year of homeschooling... busy busy!

    ReplyDelete