Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade Borscht With Beef Stock

When I was pregnant with my third child, we lived in an apartment building with many wonderful neighbors... one was from Lithuania.  We spent one afternoon play date at our foreign friend's home when she offered me some of the borscht she had made that day.  Never having had it before, I was naturally very curious!  Cold beet soup (with lots of sour cream) sounded delightful, and being pregnant gave me a good excuse to eat four meals that day :)
 
I have always loved beets, mostly the pickled beets my mother used to can, but this soup was amazing!  So, as homage to my generous Lithuanian neighbor, I have made borscht for my family.  It is gorgeous (just look at the picture!) and chock full of nutrients.  I made it with my homemade beef stock to make it even more digestible...
 
 
 
 
 
Here's the recipe I tweaked;  It comes from the Most for Your Money Cookbook, published in 1938:
 
4 medium beets, peeled (and chopped)
1 onion, grated on medium grater
juice of two lemons
3 Tablespoons sugar ( I used organic evaporated cane juice)
salt and pepper to fancy
2 eggs
1 pint sour cream
 
Put beets and onion in a 2-quart saucepan and boil 20 minutes. (I boiled them in half beef stock and half water)  Add lemon juice, sugar and seasonings and boil 5 more minutes.  Beat eggs with cream; stir in slowly. Take off the fire and allow to chill.  Makes 6 to 8 portions.  
 
This a great lunch, since there is no heating involved!  Just take out of the fridge and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment