Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Homemade Kimchi (Korean Sauerkraut)

"Kimchi" has got to be the Korean word for "delicious"! If you like spicy things like I do, this will certainly be a treat. Kimchi is a great condiment for meat dishes or just eaten out of the jar. I certainly don't let it sit long in my fridge.






I used to buy kimchi at (of all places) Walmart! But, like many other good, nutritious foods, it has disappeared from the shelves and I am forced to make it at home. No matter, it is a challenge I am up to! With a power-punch of digestive helps like ginger, probiotics and cayenne pepper, I have to have my kimchi. :)


The recipe I have adapted is originally from Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon. It is a must-have cookbook for all those real foodies out there!


Here's what I put in my homemade "delicious":
1 head Napa cabbage, cored and shredded
1 small onion, minced
1 c carrots, shredded
1 T freshly grated ginger
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 t cayenne pepper powder
2 T Celtic sea salt

Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and pound with something heavy until juices are released. I used the end of a wooden dowel rod, but you could also use a meat hammer.
Move kimchi to a canning jar and press down until juices come to the top. Make sure there is at least 1 inch of head space in the jar, then cover tightly. Leave the jar out on the counter for 3 days, then move it to the fridge!

Enjoy! Your taste buds and your tummy will thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment