Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Homemade Pulled Pork Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing



I was craving a salad a couple of days ago, but I really wanted to eat something filling as well. I remembered I had some wonderful, homemade pulled pork in the freezer and got a great idea- a pulled pork salad! I started with a head of organic iceberg lettuce and half a tomato (chopped). Then, I simply added a large scoop of the thawed pulled pork on top and added a bit of shredded cheese. You could easily throw on some of your own favorite veggies, too!

I used to have this type of salad at a place called Shyler's Barbecue in Evansville, IN. I would order the salad and top it with a delightfully sweet poppy seed dressing- YUM. Since I didn't have any poppy seed dressing at home (or a recipe), I decided to top it off with a homemade honey-mustard dressing instead.

Honey-mustard is the easiest dressing to make! All you need is equal parts raw honey and spicy Dijon-style mustard- that's it! Although honey can be quite thick, when mixed with the mustard it becomes very viscous. I was able to drizzle it with ease from my cheap plastic squeeze bottle :)

Needless to say, my homemade, restaurant-style salad was delicious! Try making your own salads and dressings at home- you will taste the difference fresh, nutritious ingredients can make! For more ideas for dressings and sauces, click here.

1 comment: