Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar

If you are like me, you go through a LOT of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar).  I make my own salad dressings, non-toxic cleaners and bone stocks- and I use ACV in all of them!  The problem is, organic, unpasteurized ACV can get expensive... the solution is:  make your own :)
 
 
 

 
I found some really easy-to-follow directions online, with pictures!  The only thing I did not do was add sugar.  The organic apples I used had plenty of natural yeasts and sugars to get the fermentation process going.  The only difference in our finished product is that mine is a bit lighter in color than the other one. 
 
I used enough cores and peelings from organic apples to fill a two quart jar- just throw in your scrap pieces and fill water to cover.  You can save the good parts of the apple for a pie or homemade apple sauce!  Then, cover your jar with a thin towel, secured with a rubber band, and wait :) 
 
After about 10 days, your apples are spent and you can strain them out.  Then, cover your liquid again and let it sit until the liquid tastes like vinegar.  This may take up to two weeks or more, depending on the temperature of your kitchen.  (Mine took a bit longer because my hubby likes to keep the house cold!)
 
When your vinegar is ready, you may strain it again or just cap it and stick in your pantry.  No refrigeration required, and no pasteurization.  The grainy sediment at the bottom of the jar is called the "mother" and is actually beneficial to consume. 
 
Since I used scraps to make my vinegar, it really didn't cost any extra money-just a little time. ;)
So, take a little time to make your own ACV!  Your pocketbook will thank you.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment