Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Homemade Beef Stroganoff

I have to admit, when I was a new bride I couldn't cook worth a darn. Boxed dinners were my crutch, and "homemade" was not a word used in my home... My husband is a "meat and potatoes" man, so I was always searching for something to mix with hamburger, and boxed dinners were sooo convenient!

Twelve years later... I have learned from my mistakes and added "homemade" to my cooking repertoire. My Mother-in-law has taught me how to cook my husbands favorites, and I have changed up the recipes on quite a few to make them more nutritious. I'm learning all the time.

My husband is still a "meat and potatoes" man, so I'm always looking for yummy, meaty recipes for us to try. Beef Stroganoff has always been one of our favorites, and it is very nutritious if you make it with organic vegetables and homemade broth. (Not to mention a great way to boost your immune system this flu season!)



What you need:

1.5 lb lean beef, cut in strips 1/4"-1/2" thick and about 2.5" long x 3/4" wide
5 T butter, divided
1 c sliced mushrooms (I omit these, as my family won't eat them!)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T flour (or 2T arrowroot powder + 2T water)
2 c beef stock
2 T tomato paste
1 t dry mustard
2/3 c sour cream
sea salt and black pepper

Dust strips of beef with sea salt and black pepper, then let them sit while you prepare the vegetables.

Melt 2 T butter in a heavy skillet, and saute mushrooms until tender. Remove and set aside.

Melt more butter, if needed, and saute onion in same pan until caramelized. Remove and add to mushrooms.

Add at least another T butter to skillet, then brown meat on both sides in small batches.

(Add butter when needed.) Remove beef and set aside with mushrooms and onion.

Add 2 T flour to skillet and mix with meat drippings and left-over butter. Brown it well, mixing constantly. (If you prefer to use arrowroot powder, add 2T arrowroot mixed with 2T water after simmer.)

Slowly add 2 c beef stock to form a smooth gravy.

Add tomato paste and mustard, blending well.

Next, add meat, mushrooms and onion and let simmer on low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes. (Add 2T arrowroot + 2T water now, if desired)



Five minutes before serving, add the sour cream and blend thoroughly. Season with sea salt and black pepper, if desired.

Serve over long grain rice or mashed potatoes!




No comments:

Post a Comment